I am fighting for working families, local small businesses, healthcare as a public utility, common sense gun laws, a healthy and protected environment, the reform of campaign finance laws and the human rights of all people.
ADDITIONAL KEY ISSUES
Common Sense Gun Laws:
I support the 2nd Amendment but believe common-sense solutions can help decrease the escalating epidemic of gun violence that kills too many members of our community.
Laws like “Stand Your Ground” incite violence and fatalities more than they prevent. These laws need to be scaled back or repealed. Gun laws should be crafted using data and research, advice from law enforcement and the communities themselves – not based on advice from the gun lobby or their politicians.
• Universal, comprehensive background checks
• Bringing the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) into the 21st century with a digitized, searchable database
• Funds for the CDC (Center for Disease Control) to research the gun violence epidemic in America
• High-capacity magazine ban
• A ban on semi-automatic assault rifles
We are a country of immigrants and diversity is our strength. To remain that shining beacon of hope we need to create a path to citizenship for those looking to join our communities. Immigration and trade policy go hand in hand. Our current trade policies have created economic crises here and abroad.
- Overhaul our immigration court system which is very inconsistent and often violates minimum standards of justice and human decency.
- Invest greater resources, including more attorneys and judges, so that the process can be resolved quickly and with compassion. Asylum seekers deserve the opportunity to have their case heard.
- Defend DACA DREAMers; we need to make good on our promise to guarantee their irrevocable legal status and fast-track their approval for citizenship.
- For immigrants who reside in the United States without documentation, we need to offer them a work visa to ensure that they contribute to our society, and allow them to begin the process to apply for citizenship.
- Our economy is currently set up to exploit migrant labor, reducing wages for all. If immigrants do not have a work visa or have overstayed their visa, enforcement should occur at their place of employment. Employers should be randomly checked for compliance.
- Allow valid passport holders move freely in and out of our country by passing through Customs.
Healthcare is a public utility and a human necessity. We need to double down with a system that provides patient-first healthcare with shared and reduced costs. We need to end the bureaucracy-for-profit system that is literally killing us. I do not believe the market will solve this problem. We need the government to step in to ensure that this industry is positioned as a public utility and investment in our greatest asset, our people.
Women’s’ Reproductive Rights
Roe v. Wade is the law of the land. We need to build a culture of life from the bottom up, not the top down by creating a society that provides women and families with paid maternity leave, affordable childcare and ensures that women can support their families by being paid fairly. We need to invest in empowering women, so that they can choose to have children when they are ready to raise the next generation of leaders.
So that our representation remains that “of the people, by the people, for the people”, we need term limits for elected officials and committee staffers. Additionally, these changes need to be implemented along with laws that:
- Prohibit lobbyists from contributing to PACs, Super PACs or political campaign.
- Impose a 10-year moratorium on former elected officials becoming lobbyists.
We need to stand up for the human rights of all people – no exceptions.
We need to re-imagine the role of law enforcement. We need to begin emphasizing service and protection, not policing and arresting. Laws are important, but the police need to have a relationship with the community they serve and have earned the respect of all.